I love to cook. I cook for my friends. I cook for my Mom and my Dad. I cook for officemates.
Cooking has always been part of my life. I was my Mom’s apprentice in the kitchen. She taught me how to julienne those carrots and mince those onions. She taught me that crushing the garlic is better than cutting it into little bits (“let’s out the juice, you know”).
She taught me that there is a lot to love about the hot kitchen. She was the reason I wanted to be a chef. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to study culinary arts.
Nevertheless, I realized that I can cook like the chefs if I learned how to “feel” the food. I taught myself to imagine the taste of each ingredient and I eventually learned to taste with my nose. I don’t need to take small teaspoons of the dish to know if it needs more salt or spice, I just smell the steam.
When I eat out I analyze the dish and I try cooking it at home. Some were successful and some were not. But every attempt is step to learning. So far, my friends like my triple cheese spaghetti and my grilled meats; my salads are also appreciated.


before and after
I have found a loyal guinea pig and accomplice in Gail (see above). She tries out my dishes and I am guilty for making her gain more weight than she should (hehehe). Here you can see the before and after shots of our weekend lunch. It’s chicken inasal with vinegar dip, kangkong and bagoong, garlic crisps, and buko juice. By the way, Gail is also a cook, she prepared all these.
Gail and I want to open a private kitchen. Like the one we saw in Magic Kitchen. I want an intimate two table gig. I want to whip out a smashing dinner for whoever wants to try my cooking.
Hopefully, we can establish this private kitchen soon.
1 comment:
Hi lei!
Like you, i also love cooking, i tried lots of recipes that my officemates gave me but i was not able to improve my cooking. I hope i can learn some of your recipes. I hope your private kitchen will be materialized too.
Post a Comment