Saturday, September 18, 2010

I urge you with all passion to seize the day

My niece told me about her friend's son whom I met in my grandson's baptism. When I met him on July 31, 2010 the boy showed all signs of happiness and activity. He was riding my grandson's bike, having fun with the other kids and generally looked healthy.

Yesterday, on our way to the mall, my niece told me that the boy was in comatose state; that he was taken to the ICU and been transferred from one hospital to another; that his parents have spent millions of pesos to help the boy survive.

The boy had MRSA Superbug. His body has been going through a lot for a kid of medium build. My niece said he had tubes all over to help him eat, breathe, take medicine, discharge body waste. I was on the verge of tears when my niece was sharing this story.

Why the MRSA Superbug is so Dangerous

The MRSA Superbug is able to survive treatment by antibiotics such as methicillin and penicillin. This becomes particularly dangerous in the case of hospital MRSA, because it affects patients with already compromised immune systems. Patients from intensive care units, burns units, surgical and orthopaedic wards are particularly at risk.

The ‘Killer’ MRSA Superbug

A rare mutation of CA-MRSA produces the lethal toxin panton–valentine leucocidim (PVL). PVL destroys white blood cells, destroying a person’s immune system and leaving it too weak to fight infection. Pneumonia, very high temperature and coughing up blood are all symptoms. Alarmingly, only a quarter of victims survive PVL if it spreads to the lungs.

(accessed September 18, 2010, http://www.mrsapedia.com/mrsa-superbug)

I was thinking if this happened to my kid (If I had one) I would be devastated...not because of the amount of money spent on keeping him alive but on the wasted moments. Because if it were my kid I would want him to have a normal, peaceful, happy life albeit simple and low key. I would teach my kid to grab every opportunity life gives...it may be the simple joy of taking a walk in the rain or taking charge of a school project. I will teach my kid to always look at the bright side of life; to now wallow in sadness but to convert this sadness into something creative. I will teach my kid to enjoy life. I will teach him to seize the day...you should too.


For more information about MRSA you may visit http://www.mrsapedia.com/mrsa-infection.


3 comments:

rusan said...

Life is really short, that is why we have to take all opportunity as it comes.....kids should grow the way it should be, but always the right way....

jhelai said...

carpe diem!

ethan is still in a comatose state :(

alc said...

He is in God's hands